Monday, October 11, 2010

Thai Chi-Week 1

Today I went to my first Thai Chi class, it was interesting to say the least. To start off I was the youngest person in the class by about 20 years so that is always good. I don't really know what I thought Thai Chi was but I thought it would be different than what we did this evening. Below is a recap of what occurred in the class and in my head as it was taking place.

First part of the class we got mats out of the closet and laid down. First thought of the evening, "I need to get my own mat, this is disgusting." Then we worked on our breathing and belly breathing instead of chest breathing. It was actually kind of relaxing so I didn't mind the laying down and breathing for about 10 minutes while soothing music played in the background.

Next we rubbed some gall bladder and kidney pressure points in our feet. He was talking about energy and channeling your energy. "What in the heck is this guy talking about? energy and opening my kidney by rubbing my foot? I don't think I am coming back next week.

Then we stood up and practiced our bow we also worked on some moves we were going to be building on as the class went on-I learned about the grasshopper in the box and the sparrow. He had us do some exercise then feel the "heat" in our feet where we had been "channeling" our energy and "opening our joints". ("Wow-my feet really are warm, this is kind of cool-maybe I will give it until week 2 until I quit.")

As the class went on we did a variety of exercises and used some exercise balls to "feel where our hands" were and to become part of the ball. We talked about the earth and heaven and where we are in the middle, etc. The entire time we were doing all of this I was thinking: "I am not coming back, this is insane. What in the heck am I doing here? That cute little 90 year-old man up there is about to have a stroke." Then after like 5 more minutes he said something that struck me so I thought "maybe this could be kind of fun." The entire hour long class was spent going back and forth in my head about how crazy it was to be there to how it might be a good experience.

So the verdict is I am going to stick it out and see what 11 weeks of Thai Chi can do for me. According to my teacher (who is an MD and "will not answer any questions you may have about your health because then this becomes a consult session.") it will help with my breathing and physical balance which can crossover to help with "balance" in my life as well as "living in the moment".

Here is a picture of Charlie that I took the other day but the entire time I was writing this blog this is what he kept doing. He goes to the vet on Thursday to get some updated shots then will go to a "trial day" of doggy daycare next week!!! We are also going to begin the second level of his class next week.


Halloween Oreos are good... Talking to Dave for an hour this morning before work makes LIFE GREAT today : )

No comments:

Post a Comment