Tuesday, October 26, 2010

From scratch pumpkin pie!

Today at work was a bit crazy. We had a tornado warning, "Code Gray" for those of you working at Children's (better get ready for Joint Commission!). We had to stay in our offices (because we have no windows and are in the middle of the building) with our patients. I got to hang out with my 11 o'clock and her mom from 12-12:45. It made the rest of my day feel rushed. Luckily nothing happened and I have power.

When I got off work I had to go get Charlie from doggy day care. They said he was scared during the storm and he is afraid of the agility tunnel, such a big baby. He is going back again tomorrow.
I was feeling a bit of sadness coming on during my drive home (we have 79 days left!) so I decided instead of sitting on the couch and getting sad I would make a pumpkin pie! Not from a can but from a real pumpkin. There is a cute little pumpkin patch by our house that I went to and got my sugar pumpkin. They don't take credit at the pumpkin patch (crazy!) so I had to write a check for $1.99. Making this pie was not as easy as I thought it would be.


First I had to cut the pumpkin in half. We have this huge Pampered Chef knife that I am scared of so I ended up sawing the pumpkin into pieces with a steak knife. In order to get into the Halloween spirit I thought Sammy should wear his pumpkin shirt. 




He was not happy! But as you can see, he loves Dave's Air Force snuggie. The entire time I was trying to make this pie (which took over 3 hours by time I went to the pumpkin patch and got it in the oven) Charlie wanted to play. I thought doggy day care was supposed to make him tired! 



I realized after trying to make this pie that our blender (the one Dave bought at Dave and Busters with his points) is a piece of garbage! Shocker, I know. I am going to have to go buy one this weekend. I might go buy a Kitchen Aid mixer because I have started cooking and baking since Dave left and I think it will get used more than I originally thought. I have no idea what a pumpkin pie is supposed to look like before you put it in the oven (there were chunks of pumpkin in it) so I don't know what it is going to taste like. I am taking them into work tomorrow (the recipe ended up making two pies) so my co-workers get the joy of being my taste testers. Here is the aftermath: 


So now the pumpkin pies are almost done and I am exhausted! The plan to keep myself busy worked because now I have to clean up the mess, take the dogs out and then Dave will call!!!! 

New adventures are good. Life is good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment